Thursday, October 2, 2008

Australia

A new trailer for Baz Luhrmann's upcoming film Australia was released by MSN a few days ago, which got me a little bit excited. You can watch it below...



So I'm a bit of a Baz fan.  I love the element of fantasy and heightened reality that he creates in his films. I also admire his ability to bring something new to established genres, which he did with the musical and Moulin Rouge, and the period piece and Romeo and Juliet. But I felt a touch nervous for Baz after seeing Australia's first trailer, as I thought it came off as a melodramatic, cliched, Hollywood 'epic' love story. 

After seeing the new trailer I've warmed to it a bit. It might be everything that I initially thought it was but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, right? I'm getting Titanic vibes from the film now. Two people from different backgrounds and social classes fall in love and must survive through a tragic, historical event.  Titanic was totally lame, but it was still a great Hollywood movie. After 10 years it is still the number 1 grossing film at the worldwide box office.  No one has come near to touching it! Amazing. I guess if Australia is similar to Titanic it can't really be a bad thing. 

No comments: